Friday, November 11, 2011

Sweet & Saucy – Folk Uke at Basement Discs

folk_uke 002
Cathy Guthrie & Amy Nelson – Folk Uke

Something different, American duo Folk Uke performed a charming mini show at Basement Discs this afternoon.  They are touring to promote their new CD Reincarnation. There are warnings  regarding explicit lyrics on their CDs, so if you are offended by swear words, you may be shocked by the frankness of their lyrics.

Known for their witty songs and sweet harmonies , Folk Uke are Cathy Guthrie (grand-daughter of Woody, daughter of Arlo) and Amy Nelson (daughter of Willie Nelson).

To get the ball moving on the right note, they opened their set with Sh*t Makes The Flowers Grow, following that with Knock Me Up, two tongue in cheek wickedly funny songs . They went on to sing half a dozen songs, including the title track to their new CD, and enlisted the support of their agent, Geoff Trio, to read the speaking parts in their song I Miss My Boyfriend, which part on the album is played by Shooter Jennings (son of Waylon).

Check them out on My Space and listen to I Miss My Boyfriend

Last Saturday I attended a concert at Thornbury Theatre. It was a triple bill composed of local singer songwriter Jordie Lane with Joe Pug and Henry Wagons.

thornbury_theatre 007_trimmed (Large)

A very entertaining evening it was too. My review of the show is on Nu Country here, so I won’t elaborate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh good, you've added an email subscription option to your blog. I've subscribed.

Anonymous said...

Guthrie and Nelson offspring. That would have been interesting. BTW Now, can you add a SEARCH widget to your blog so people can look for possible past posts? Says she demandingly.

Anne S said...

As per your command Mrs Gums, a search gadget has now been added.

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you! Now I've forgotten what I was searching for! But, I'm glad it's now there for next time!