Sunday, August 21, 2011

An afternoon at the races

race5_winner_kneeling
Kneeling, posing for photos after winning the Crockett Stakes

It being a bright and sunny Spring day, yesterday I decided to attend the race meeting at Moonee Valley. I’ve recently purchased a season’s ticket (very good value for $95.00) so will probably attend more often than has been my want in the past.

Let’s hope I’m luckier next time which will be on September 10, as I came out the loser yesterday, though only bet very modestly, so didn’t lose all that much.

I arrived at the course just before Race 5, the Crockett Stakes which was a race for 3 year old fillies over 1200 metres. I had my money on Hallowell Belle, who ran second to Kneeling.

race 5_hallowell_bell2
Hallowell Belle being guided to the barrier stalls by Sub Zero (winner of the 1992 Melbourne Cup).

The next race was the Nissen McKenzie Stakes a 1200 metres sprint for colts and geldings. I decided to back Niconoise, half brother to group winners Niconero and Nicconi, who showed great  promise in his only start .

The race was won by outsider Amah Rock, like Niconoise, having only his second start, scraping into the field as first emergency after several scratchings.

race6_amah rock1
Amah Rock after winning the Nissen McKenzie.

Race 7, hoping to recoup my loss on Niconoise I decided to go for Lone Rock, the class mare in the race, who was at good odds. However, she missed out on a place, the short price favourite Kulgrinda winning easily from Happy Angel and Morgan Dollar.

race7_winner_kulgrinda
Kulgrinda after winning the Printhouse  Graphics Stakes

Despite not having much luck in betting, it was a pleasant day to be out in the sunshine watching thoroughbred racehorses strut their stuff.  I left after Race 7, catching the sleepy No 506  bus home. 

The meeting on September 10th will have better quality races on the cards, notably the so called  Cox Plate preview Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (Feehan Stakes). Can Whobegotyou win it for a third time?

Last photo is of trainers Danny O’Brien and Mark Kavanagh having a smoke and chat outside the holding stalls.

trainers

No comments: