Saturday, December 26, 2009

Handsome Is as Handsome Does

After getting back home from a pleasant Christmas Day at my brother’s place, I spent most of this afternoon, watching or listening to the races. I know it’s out of season but I felt like having a flutter and a few horses I have been vaguely following were running today.

First up was The Opera House, a rare pure white filly by Zabeel who is a three quarter sister to former champion Might & Power (her dam, Carmina Burana, is the daughter of Might & Power’s dam, Benediction).

572278-white-horse
The Opera House with glamorous strapper

There has been a great deal of interest in The Opera House and a larger than usual crowd was at the Newcastle race meeting to watch her debut race. She didn’t win, but did pretty well coming fifth in 1400 metre race. Her breeding suggests that she will be better over longer distances.

In race three at Caulfield, running my eye down the field for the Hanrahan Handicap I was attracted by the name of The Handsome One. He has only raced once at a provincial meeting at Traralgon which he won, and was having his first run in the city today. I had a small bet on him and he rewarded my hunch by winning at 10/1, so the payout was handsome as well. He looks to be well named, a beautiful big chestnut colt with white blaze and socks. Sounds like Apache Cat, you say, but even though he is trained by Greg Eurell, he actually bears no resemblance to the Cat and his pedigree is completely different. He is by Shamardal out of Dehere And Now. Anyway, he looks very promising, so I’ll be following him from now on.

The final race at Doomben saw potential star filly Graceful Anna beat the boys in the Group 3 Vo Rogue Plate. I had a modest bet each way on her and the runner up, Shoot Out so ended the day, betting wise, $60.00 up.

That’s encouraging, as I haven’t backed a winner for ages and was thinking my luck had totally deserted me. Pray it continues into the New Year.

4 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

oh gosh.
and what a great name.

and strappers have to be tougher and rougher than that one looks.

wishing you Crippy Crimble cos it's that time of year.

Anne S said...

Which name? The Opera House or The Handsome One - both pretty good actually.

I believe the girl in the picture is a jockey, Jodie someone.

And merry festive occasion to you as well.

Jan said...

Hope you have lots and lots of wins in 2010!

Anne S said...

Thanks Jan!

Wishing you a super 2010 too in whatever you plan to accomplish.