Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Day At The Races – Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes

whobegotyou1
Whobegotyou after winning the Dato Chin Nam Stakes

I’m glad I decided to go to the races yesterday. It turned out to be a very enjoyable and quite profitable day. I went solo this time, though I did run into a friend when I was there. Arriving just before the fifth race, I watched a total of four races and placed bets on three of them. Much to my surprise my luck was in, as all my bets were successful – 2 wins, a trifecta, a second & a third place.

My first successful bet was on Nicconi in the Group 3 McEwan Stakes, a sprint over 1000 metres.

nicconi1
Nicconi after winning the McEwan Stakes

The next race on the program was the feature Group 2 Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (formerly the Feehan Stakes), so I decided to go and look at the horses in the mounting yard and take some photos...

elsegundo3
El Segundo – his handler said that he loved having his photo taken

whobegotyou6
Whobegotyou – wearing blinkers for the first time – an obviously successful tactic.

joliesshinju
Jolie’s Shinju – Singapore mare having her first start in Australia

micmac1
Mic Mac – upon whom I pinned my hopes.

The race itself was worth the price of admission – an exciting battle of champions with Whobegotyou winning in style. Mic Mac was a length away second and Jolie’s Shinju, after taking the lead for most of the race, held on for third. I had each way bets on Mic Mac & Jolie’s Shinju, but also thought to take out a boxed trifecta which included Whobegotyou, as well as the other two.

The final race I witnessed was the Group 2 WH Stock Stakes for mares run over 1600 metres. I had my money on Zarita and she managed to win by a nose over Cat’s Whisker. The only photo I managed to get of her is below.

zarita
Zarita after winning the Stock Stakes

I waited to collect my winnings on Zarita then called it a day.

Yesterday, Melbourne put on the first warm day of Spring, so even though it was still windy, it was perfect weather for a day at the races.

The course was not overcrowded – it was easy to place a bet and get a beer or two and there was the usual party atmosphere. Even though I rarely go to Moonee Valley, there are people who always seem to be there when I go. There is a young woman who packs a serious camera with whom I have a nodding acquaintance, and a rather dreary old man who speaks to you as if you’ve never been to the races before.

I came home richer than I left, perfectly satisfied with my day at the races.

1 comment:

BwcaBrownie said...

Glad you had a good day.
Those Singapore strappers either side of Jolie mare look like there's more going on there than love of thoroughbreds.
bet there's no
whip rules in the 'Pore