Friday, May 01, 2009

Vale Sunline (29 September 1995 – 1 May 2009– one of the greats of the turf

sunline

I learned early this afternoon that Sunline has passed away. She was euthanased today after a long battle with laminitis. She will be buried with full honours at Ellerslie Race Course in New Zealand.

This news has filled me with sadness as I remember her well. I followed her illustrious career from the start - as a two year old in 1998, to her retirement in October 2002. She was a great sentimental favourite of mine. A race day that had Sunline in the competition was always extra special. I remember how flat it felt when she retired. She gave racing fans five years of excitement. I saw her once in the flesh in the 2001 Feehan Stakes where she raced against Northerly for the first time and was beaten by a head.

The photo is one I purchased from the Sunline fan site way back when. It is signed by Trevor McKee her trainer, Claire Bird, her strapper and Greg Childs, her jockey. Unfortunately it didn’t scan all that well, it still being wrapped up in cellophane after I had it framed. It still remains unhung.

From 48 starts her record stands at 33 Wins (13 at Group One level), 9 Seconds and 3 Thirds

One the great racing mares of modern times, she was a champion middle distance runner who’s like we’ll not see anytime soon, unless Typhoon Tracy proves me wrong.

I have been following the racing careers of her progeny. Her eldest daughter Sunstrike (by Rock of Gibraltar) has been moderately successful and is racing tomorrow in New Zealand in Te Aroha, race five. Sunstrike’s little brother Sun Ruler (by Zabeel) won his first race a week ago, so it appears Sunline’s children have talent as well. There are two more fillies by Rock of Gibraltar and Hussonet yet to race.

A detailed review of Sunline’s racing career is at http://www.barnesphotography.com.au/sunline/page1.htm

View her sensational 1999/2000 Cox Plate victories, below:


4 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

and I am sad too.
She must have had longterm pain, so at least she suffers no more.

I just fell over these 2 sites tonight and thought you might know of them -
6 hours ago by My horses on .Bel Esprit Owners Club
The Victorian metropolitan racing focus turns to the Melbourne Racing Club's double-header this weekend with the Blue Sapphire Stakes meeting at Caulfield on Saturday coupled with the annual Greater Dandenong Race Day at Betfair Park - http://belesprit2008.blogspot.com/
****************
7 Apr 2009 by Editor Horse Racing blog
Geelong Racing Club is understandably under tremendous stress after the announcement from Victoria Racing Ltd, that the Geelong track is to be closed for repairs and maintenance. With losses estimated at approximately $15 000 per race ...
- http://www.horseracing.com/blog/

Anne S said...

Thanks Ann for the links to horse racing blogs - I'm glad there are others out there.

My favourite racing blog is Foolish Pleasure - a blog run by an American horse racing fan called Valerie, who writes very interesting articles.

Francis Xavier Holden said...

Whats your take on the jumps stuff?

Anne S said...

I don't like jumps racing. I never watch them, let alone bet on them.

They should be banned, despite the possibility, posited by jockeys and trainers in the jumps field, that more horses would be sent to the knackery.