Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Leonard Cohen at Rod Laver Arena – A Night of Tasteful Music and Beautiful Vibes

I cannot really add to the accolades already accorded the remarkable Leonard Cohen during his tour of the Antipodes, other than to say that everything written previously is true and correct.

And I can’t say that it was an overwhelmingly emotional experience for me, as it was for
Amanda at Flop Eared Mule, but as concerts go, it was very, very good. Personally, I was more blown away by the Ryan Adams concert – anathema, I know, to some people.

My enjoyment of the concert was spoiled somewhat by my front row seat, which I thought would be the pick of the arena. Not so. My view was hampered for the most part by a pesky cameraman, videoing the show for the big screens on either side of the stage. Leonard stationed himself predominantly on the (facing) right hand side of the stage and I was sitting sort of to the left of centre. I had an excellent view of Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters, but only got a good look at Leonard when he ventured over to their side of the stage. However, my neighbours in the seats to left and right were pleasant friendly people, so if you’re reading this, it was a pleasure sharing the concert with you. I daresay they were typical of the crowd - a good audience.

The band was excellent, all master musicians, especially the delightful
Javier Mas, who played a variety of interesting ethnic instruments.

Mention must also be made to the short but excellent opening set by Paul Kelly. Certainly, it was a higher quality opening act than the Clip Clop Club at the Ryan Adams concert.

I still have to look at the bulk of my photos, taken in RAW format, but the above, snapped whenever the cameraman moved out of the way, are a few of the better JPEGs I managed to get.

MELBOURNE - 10 FEBRUARY – ROD LAVER ARENA

Set 1
1. Dance Me to the End of Love

2. The Future
3. Ain't No Cure for Love
4. Bird on the Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. Chelsea Hotel #29.
9. Sisters Of Mercy
10. Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye
11. Anthem

Set 2

12. Tower of Song
13. Suzanne
14. The Gypsy's Wife
15. The Partisan
16. Boogie Street
17. Hallelujah
18. I'm Your Man
19. A Thousand Kisses Deep [recitation]
20. Take This Waltz

Encore 1
21. So Long Marianne
22. First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2
23. Famous Blue Raincoat
24. If It Be Your Will
25. Democracy

Encore 3
26. I Tried to Leave You
27. Whither Thou Goest

No comments: