Friday, October 03, 2008

Spring Racing Carnival – the Turnbull Stakes

Last weekend there was not much action in the racing scene, the Saturday afternoon being dominated by the AFL Grand Final. I watched a bit of it at a friend’s house, but truth to tell I was not much interested in the result, despite the two contending teams being Victorian clubs.

This Saturday promises to be a bottler as far as racing is concerned.

In Melbourne Weekend Hussler will be taking on a crack field in the Group One Turnbull Stakes over 2000 metres, his first attempt at the distance. He has drawn the outside barrier, but I shouldn’t imagine that will really disadvantage him all that much. The usual suspects will be competing against him – Maldivian, Pompeii Ruler, Zarita, Efficient, Guillotine and Tuesday Joy, who proved that she can handle the Melbourne way of going as I witnessed at Moonee Valley in September.

It is a must see race and fortunately will be on free to air TV. Thank goodness! I have been watching the Hussler’s races so far this Spring on my computer and it certainly eats into my monthly download allowance.

Sydney will feature four Group One races – The Flight Stakes (1600 metres) for 3 year old fillies where it will be interesting to see if Samantha Miss can continue her winning ways, the Spring Champion Stakes for 3 year olds over 2000 metres, the 2400 metre Metropolitan for stayers, and the Epsom Handicap (1600 metres) featuring a talented field of middle distance runners including Mentality, Musket, Gallant Tess and Raheeb.

As there has been no further word on Light Fantastic since his poor run in the Underwood Stakes, I’ve decided to retire him from my super stable and have substituted Tuesday Joy. I’ve also retired Triple Honour who failed to place in his race last Saturday and subbed Samantha Miss in his stead. I still have four substitutions in hand which I will save for later in the carnival.

No comments: